A few days ago I found a blog about a little boy in Texas who had a brain tumor. He was 7 months old when it was diagnosed and he lost his battle today. The journey his parents traveled over the past 3 weeks is one that no parents should ever have to find themselves along. I am impressed with how they handled it and what amazing parents they were in the last few weeks of his far too short life. When they decided to take him home for what turned out to be the last few days of his life, and not do any treatment, that was the most courageous things they could have done. They chose comfort for their son, to be at home and not in a hospital surrounded by machines. To be with his parents and family and not constantly surrounded by doctors and nurses. They made the hardest decision seem so easy and right. I know that it will not be an easy journey for them over the next days, weeks, months or even years but they can be sure that they did everything possible for their son, including the wisdom to choose a few quality days with their son instead of prolonging his pain. My heart breaks for them tonight. I do not know these people, but I can say that I admire them. They gave their son a birthday party at 37 weeks because they knew he would not make it to his first birthday. They filled his last days with love and for that they can be sure. They were the best parents for that little boy.
Brain tumors are not supposed to happen to babies. They are too innocent to have anything like that invade their lives, and yet it occurs. This little boy, James, was 8 months old. He spent more time in his mother's womb than he did as a child on this earth. So tonight I pray for all the children who are fighting for their lives because of some disease. I pray for their parents and families who are watching as their child fights for his or her life. And I pray that James's parents will find comfort and peace soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment